10 MW Solar Project Commissioned at Panipat Thermal Power Station in Haryana


Haryana Power Generation Corporation (HPGCL) has commissioned a 10 MW solar project at the premises of Panipat Thermal Power Station (PTPS) in Panipat. The project was set up by Sterling & Wilson for the project owner, HPGCL.

A HPGCL official confirmed the successful commissioning of the solar project and said that HPGCL is planning to set up another 133 MW of solar at various locations throughout the state and expects to issue tenders soon.

HPGCL told Mercom that since this was a simple engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract which did not involve competitive bidding, the tariff at which power will be sold to distribution companies (DISCOMs) has been set by HPGCL. A current tariff of Rs.4.88 (~$0.073)/kWh has been tentatively established. HPGCL is in talks with the two state DISCOMs to finalize the tariff rate.

HPGCL had tendered the 10 MW project in November of 2015, with an amendment issued in December 2015. The scope of work included the design; engineering, procurement and construction (EPC); commissioning and operation & maintenance of the solar project for a five-year period, extendable by five years.

According to MKV Ramarao, MD, HPGCL, “the work for setting up the project was awarded in May 2016 to Sterling and Wilson, at a cost of Rs.576.7 million (~$8.63 million).” Mr. Rao further added that the project is expected to generate close to 17 million units of electricity, annually.

HPGCL will share the benefit, if any, received from power purchaser, with the EPC contractor (Sterling & Wilson) in case of excess generation against the net electrical energy generation guarantee (NEEGG) by the contractor. HPGCL will receive 70 percent of the benefit and the EPC contractor will get the other 30 percent.


Sampath KrishnaSampath has been part of the Mercom India research and news team since the company’s inception. He currently oversees all data and research relating to news published on the MercomIndia.com platform. Sampath received his Bachelor’s of Commerce Degree from Kuvempu University and Post Graduate Diploma in Management, from Indira Gandhi National Open University. More articles from Sampath Krishna.