Tata, Fourth Partner, and CleanMax Emerge as Leading Rooftop Solar Installers in 1H 2020

Mercom's latest report reveals the industry leaders and their market share across the Indian solar supply chain


Tata Power Solar, Fourth Partner Energy, and CleanMax emerged as the top rooftop solar installers in India in the first half (1H) of the calendar year (CY) 2020, according to Mercom’s India Solar Market Leaderboard for 1H of 2020.

Together, these three installers accounted for nearly 47% of the total rooftop installations in 1H of 2020.

Leading Rooftop Solar Installers in India 1H 2020 (Jan-Jun)

The top 10 solar rooftop installers together contributed 70% of the total rooftop solar capacity installed in 1H of 2020, with the remaining 30% installations spread among smaller installers in a fragmented market.

As per Mercom’s Solar Quarterly Market Report, in the 1H of 2020, only 279 MW of rooftop solar was installed compared to 555 MW installed in the 1H of 2019.

The rooftop solar segment was severely affected by the pandemic, with installations falling by 50% compared to 1H of 2019. The first half of 2020 saw the COVID-19 pandemic severely affect the Indian solar market, resulting in a slowdown in solar installation activity across the board.

About 96% of the rooftop installations in the second quarter came from C&I consumers. The C&I segment is expected to recover in the second half of the year, especially in sectors like transportation, IT, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, and textiles. However, residential solar remains beyond reach for most consumers, especially with the current economic downturn. Even though subsidies exist, neither the consumer nor the installers want to deal with it.

Tata Power Solar had the largest solar rooftop portfolio in 1H of 2020 and was also the largest solar rooftop installer cumulatively as of June 2020. Fourth Partner and CleanMax followed at the second and third spots.

Mercom’s India Solar Market Leaderboard 1H 2020 report goes into a detailed breakdown of top installers, capacity additions, and their growth profile.

A complete list of rooftop installers and their portfolio is available on Mercom’s India Solar Market Share Tracker.

Rahul is a staff reporter at Mercom India. Before entering the world of renewables, Rahul was head of the Gujarat bureau for The Quint. He has also worked for DNA Ahmedabad and Ahmedabad Mirror. Hailing from a banking and finance background, Rahul has also worked for JP Morgan Chase and State Bank of India. More articles from Rahul Nair.