Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission Proposes Net Metering Changes for Rooftop Solar
The Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC) has proposed changes to the Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission, Net Metering for Roof-top Solar Photo Voltaic Systems Regulations, 2015. The new regulations will be called the Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (Net Metering for Roof-top Solar Photo Voltaic Systems) (First Amendment) Regulations, 2017.
These regulations will extend to the entire state of Maharashtra and will come into force from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
- In the new proposed regulations, MERC has defined renewable energy as grid quality electricity generated from renewable energy sources.
- The terms solar PV generating system and solar PV system will be substituted by the term renewable energy generating system.
- The term solar generation meter will be substituted by the term renewable energy generation meter.
- The terms solar renewable purchase obligation and solar RPO will be substituted by the term renewable purchase obligation.
- The term solar energy will be substituted by the term renewable energy.
Saumy is a senior staff reporter with MercomIndia.com covering business and energy news since 2016. Prior to Mercom, Saumy was a copy editor at Thomson Reuters. Saumy earned his Bachelors Degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Manipal Institute of Communication at Manipal University. More articles from Saumy Prateek.