India Adds Over 7 GW of Solar in a Record First Half of 2022

The solar sector witnessed the highest ever quarterly and half-yearly solar capacity addition


India installed over 3.9 GW of solar capacity in the second quarter (Q2) of the calendar year (CY) 2022, an increase of 18% compared to 3.3 GW installed in the previous quarter. On a year-over-year (YoY) basis, installations rose by 59% from the 2.4 GW installed in the same period last year.

The latest installation data was revealed in Mercom’s newly released report – Q2 2022 India Solar Market Update.

Large-scale solar accounted for 90% of the installations, and rooftop accounted for the remaining 10% during the reporting period.

In Q2 2022, India installed 3.5 GW of large-scale solar, a quarter-over-quarter (QoQ) increase of around 23% and an 82% YoY increase.

In the first half (1H) of 2022, India added around 7.2 GW of solar, a record 59% increase compared to 4.5 GW installed during the same period last year.

India’s cumulative installed solar capacity now stands at 57 GW.

The country has a utility-scale projects development pipeline of over 57 GW, with another 37 GW of tendered projects awaiting auction.

Solar installations QoQ Q2 2022

Rajasthan became the first state to cross 10 GW of cumulative large-scale solar installations at the end of March 2022. Cumulative large-scale solar installations in Rajasthan reached almost 13 GW as of June 2022. The state accounts for almost 27% of the total installations in the country.

Rajasthan and Gujarat were the top states for large-scale solar installations during the quarter, accounting for 53% and 14% of installations, respectively, followed by Maharashtra with 9%.

There is still a lot of ambiguity around projects impacted by the Great Indian Bustard (GIB). To protect the critically endangered bird, the Supreme Court said during the quarter that transmission lines running through the priority areas of the GIB need to have bird diverters installed before July 20, 2022.

A Committee formed to review cases has approved only two of the eight applications received, and the remaining are still being scrutinized. This process is taking time and will likely affect project development this year.

“Even with mounting challenges from supply constraints and rising costs, India had its best quarter and first half ever for solar. Unfortunately, what could have been a spectacular year is now filled with uncertainty and possible delays due to the Supreme Court Ruling in the Great Indian Bustard case in Rajasthan. Still, India is on a path to its best year in solar,” said Raj Prabhu, CEO of Mercom Capital Group.

According to the report, while 2021 was the most significant year for the Indian solar industry, with over 10 GW of installations, 2022 is slated to be an even stronger year.

New Installed Power Capacity India 1H2022

Key Highlights from Mercom India Research’s Q2 2022 India Solar Market Update:

  • In 1H 2022, India added 7.2 GW of solar capacity, a 59% increase compared to 4.5 GW installed in 1H 2021.
  • Large-scale solar accounted for 90% of the installations, and rooftop solar for the remaining 10%.
  • India’s cumulative installed solar capacity now stands at 57 GW.
  • In 1H 2022, renewable energy sources (including large hydro) accounted for about 90% of the new power capacity additions.
  • Solar accounted for 77.9% of the new power capacity added during the quarter.
  • In Q2 2022, Rajasthan and Maharashtra were the top states for solar installations.
  • Q2 2022 was the best quarter for solar to date in India

Mercom’s India Solar Q2 2022 report is 126 pages and covers all facets of India’s solar market. For the complete report, visit:



Arjun Joshi


Mercom Research Focus
India Installs a Record 2.5 GW of Solar Open Access in 2022, Up 92% YoY

India added 2.5 GW of solar open access in the calendar year (CY) 2022, a year-over-year (YoY) increase of 92% from the 1.3 GW installed in CY 2021, according to the newly released 2022 Q4 & Annual Mercom India Solar Open Acce...

March 15, 2023


Kerala Issues Empanelment Tender for 100 MW of Solar Projects

The Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) has invited bids to empanel solar developers to set up 100 MW of grid-connected rooftop and ground-mounted projects. Empanelled vendors also must furnish operation and maintenance (O&M...

March 20, 2023

Tenders and Auctions

Gujarat Invites Bids to Procure 500 MW of Wind Power with Greenshoe Option

Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam (GUVNL) has invited bids to procure power from 500 MW of grid-connected wind projects (Phase V) with a greenshoe option of an additional capacity of up to 500 MW. The last day to submit the bids online is ...

March 17, 2023


MSMEs Adopt Solar Readily If Savings on Power Bills Cover EMI Cost: Interview

Small businesses are open to adopting rooftop solar if loan repayment is not an additional burden and is equal to their savings on electricity bills. Entities in the commercial and industrial (C&I) segment are increasingly mov...

March 17, 2023



Mercom Cleantech Magazine

Get Your Copy Today!


Latest News

Maharashtra Approves Tariffs for 8.7 MW of Solar Power Under KUSUM Program

The Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC) has adopted tariffs of ₹3.28 (~$0.039)/kWh, ₹3.29 (~$0.039)/kWh, and ₹3.30 (~$0.040)/kWh for the procurement of 8.7 MW of solar power on a long-term basis. The Commission...

March 21, 2023

Brookfield to Aquire KKR’s 50% Stake in Renewable Developer X-Elio

Global investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) has agreed to sell 50% of its stake in renewable developer X-ELIO to its joint venture partner Brookfield Renewable. Financial details were not disclosed. Since KKR’s...

March 21, 2023

NTPC’s Subsidiary Will Develop Renewable Projects for IndianOil Refineries

NTPC Limited’s wholly owned subsidiary, NGEL, has entered into a joint venture agreement with Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL) to develop renewable energy projects that can meet round-the-clock power requirements to meet the...

March 21, 2023

Constant Climate-Centric Funding Can Limit Global Temperature Under 1.5°C 

Financial support from developed economies to developing nations which is a critical enabler of climate action has been inadequate, said scientists in the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report...

March 21, 2023

India Voices Concern over Europe’s Carbon Tariff Measure at WTO

India has expressed concern about the carbon border measures proposed by the European Union (EU) at a recent meeting of the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) Committee on Trade and Environment. Presenting a paper on the increasing...

March 21, 2023

JSW and Greenko Win Karnataka’s Bid for 1 GW of Pumped Storage Projects

JSW Neo Energy (JSW Energy) and Greenko KA 01 IREP (Greenko) have won the Power Company of Karnataka’s (PCKL) auction to supply 1 GW of energy for 8 hours daily from pumped hydro storage projects providing continuous 5-hour...

March 21, 2023

Sterling and Wilson Bags BoS Package Tender for 1.2 GW Solar Projects

Sterling and Wilson Renewable Energy, the solar engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) arm of Shapoorji Pallonji Group, won NTPC’s tender for the balance of system (BOS) package to develop 1.2 GW (4*300 MW) of solar...

March 21, 2023

Indian Oil Floats O&M Tender for 8 MW Solar Project in Ahmedabad

Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL) has invited bids for the operation and maintenance (O&M) of an existing 8 MW solar power project at the LPG bottling plant at Sanand in Ahmedabad for five years. The last date to submit the bids...

March 21, 2023

IIT Mandi Creates Low-Cost Method for Solar Cell Metal Oxide Layers

Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi) have claimed a breakthrough in producing metal oxide layers for use in advanced architecture silicon solar cells using a cost-effective method. This innovative...

March 21, 2023

Government Allows NTPC to Invest Over 30% of Net Worth in its Green Arm

The government has allowed NTPC to invest in its subsidiary, NTPC Green Energy (NGEL), beyond the limit allowed for a ‘maharatna’ central public sector enterprise (CPSE). The extant guidelines prescribe a ceiling of 30% of a...

March 21, 2023