EREN Renewable Energy and EDF Energies Nouvelles Commission 87 MW of Solar in India

November 8, 2017


EREN Renewable Energy and EDF Energies Nouvelles commissioned three solar projects with an installed capacity totaling 87 MW. The projects have been developed by EDEN, a solar photovoltaic (PV) joint venture (JV) between EREN Renewable Energy and EDF Energies Nouvelles in India.

The commissioned projects include two 36 MW solar projects in Uttarakhand and a 15 MW project in Madhya Pradesh. According to a company release, EDEN arranged the financing and supervised the construction of these three solar power plants, which were acquired in 2016 and 2017.

To develop the 72 MW in Uttarakhand, 4,50,000 solar panels were utilized, and the power generated will fulfill the annual energy needs of 95,000 households. Twenty-five-year power purchase agreements (PPAs) for evacuation of power from these projects have been signed with Uttarakhand Power Corporation Ltd (UPCL).

Under the JV, EDEN has 49 percent ownership of the projects in Uttarakhand and local partners – Omkar Powertech India Private Limited and Profigate Infra Gasoline and Rays Power Infra – own the remaining 51 percent equity shares.

The 15 MW solar project in Madhya Pradesh is 100 percent owned by EDEN. For evacuation from this project a 25-year PPA has been signed with Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited (MPPMCL).


EDF has also commissioned 164 MW of wind projects located in the state of Gujarat, one of the windiest regions of India. They generate enough annual energy consumption to power 460,000 Indian households.

The projects were built by SITAC Wind Management and Development, a wind energy company owned by EDF Energies Nouvelles, and the SITAC group. Each park benefits from a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) signed with Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd. (GUVNL), the regional distribution company.

Jean-Bernard Lévy, CEO of the EDF Group, said: “We are proud to be a player in the Indian energy transition through a comprehensive offer of energy solutions. The recently commissioned solar and wind facilities are part of two major objectives of the Group’s CAP 2030 strategy – to achieve 50 GW of renewable capacity by 2030 and to expand our business in high-growth markets such as India.”

Image credit: EREN Group

Saumy Prateek Saumy is a senior staff reporter with covering business and energy news since 2016. Prior to Mercom, Saumy was a copy editor at Thomson Reuters. Saumy earned his Bachelors Degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Manipal Institute of Communication at Manipal University. More articles from Saumy Prateek.