Q1 2021 INDIA SOLAR MARKET UPDATE – 2.05 GW INSTALLED IN Q1 2021
India added 2,056 megawatts (MW) of solar in the first quarter (Q1) of 2021, a 37% increase quarter-over-quarter (QoQ), compared to 1,505 MW installed in Q4 2020. Solar installations were up by 88% year-over-year (YoY) compared to 1,090 MW added in Q1 2020
In Q1 2021, large-scale solar projects totaled 1,749 MW, up by 43% QoQ, and 307 MW were added in rooftop solar installations, an increase of 8% QoQ and 58% YoY.
According to the report, at the end of Q1 2021, cumulative solar installations reached 41 gigawatts (GW). Of this, 35.5 GW was from large-scale projects, and 5.4 GW was from rooftop solar installations.
In Q1 2021, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh were the top states for solar, followed by Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh. The top five states accounted for 81% of installations in the quarter.
The report details the effect of the lockdown imposed on major states due to the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic since the end of April 2021, along with labor issues and supply disruption affecting construction activity.
Key Highlights from Mercom India Research’s Q1 2021 India Solar Market Update
- In Q1 2021, India added 2,056 MW of solar installations, an increase of 37% compared to 1,505 MW installed in Q4 2020. YoY installations rose by 88% compared to 1,091 MW in Q1 2020
- In Q1 2021, 1,749 MW was added from large-scale solar installations and 307 MW from rooftop solar
- Rooftop solar installations increased 8% compared to 285 MW added in Q4 2020. YoY the installations were by 58%, compared to 194 MW installed in Q1 2020
- The cumulative installed solar capacity in India was about 41 GW at the end of Q1 2021
- The large-scale solar project pipeline in India stands at 53.6 GW, with 24.1 GW tendered and pending auctions at the end of Q1 2021
- Mercom forecasts installations of approximately 7.1 GW for CY 2021
- Solar now represents 10.7% of the total power installed capacity in India as of Q1 2021
Contact Mercom for pricing: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 011-91-802-356-0436.